24 March 2012

Tanks

Ah yes... tanks. Be it a warden, a guardian, a champion or a captain, there's always some kind of trouble with them. A terrible tank can easily ruin the whole run for up to 23 people, but a good tank can often save the day and give hope to everyone.

So here are a few memorable tanks...

So this is Moose's dwarf guardian. I haven't really figured out how to draw him yet, so this will have to do. That aside, I think tanking suits him very well because: 1) he can die before everyone else and it is, in fact, what he's supposed to do; 2) facepulling seems legit when you're a tank, so now his noob pulls aren't so nooby anymore; 3) he can hold aggro surprisingly well. Hooray juice!

I don't know why so many guardians feel the need to tell everyone what exactly they're doing, but I can say that usually most people don't care. I play a DPS class, a support class and a healer and there have been exactly 0 times when I cared about my tank's skill rotation. I think only captains should be allowed to say they used their panic buttons (because it's kind of scary to see the captain at 2 morale without knowing he's used Last Stand).
However, Ciani pointed out that Pledge is essentially yelling "NOT THE FACE, NOT THE FACE"... so I guess I can forgive mentioning that one skill every once in a while.

Most champs seem to dislike tanking, but they express it in very different ways. Sen takes it like a man, Erl says she sucks at tanking, End complains about everything (but still tanks like a boss), Thorf goes back to the Moors when he's asked to tank and Feath, of course, is still too nooby to understand what's going on (awwww baby champ).

Do you know that feeling when your tank is supposed to grab aggro with a taunt and types "lol missed" instead of using another taunt when the first one misses or gets resisted? No? Lucky. 

I dislike wardens and don't trust them when they're tanking, but there have been 2 very exceptional god mode wardens that I worship even after all the nerfs and failures. Seeing a nerfed warden always makes me sad, seeing a warden that goes "pffffft, who cares about the 500 orcs! let's do this!" always fills me with a very strange kind of happiness.

What do you do when your tank is Jara? That's right - you make fun of him. At least he's a very cheerful fellow, even when his shield is broken and his computer is lagging. You know we love you, Jaranoobadan!

Hooray beer, no more tanks to draw! I wonder if I should make a post about hunters...

4 comments:

  1. Hey I have tanked stuff... a month ago I totally tanked Foundry! I've even started building a sort of tank build (even got a new rune for this!), but mostly my concern is 1) holding aggro - I can pull from god himself if I try enough but will I create enough aggro with ires, threat and only about 1-1,1k might? 2) will I survive - I mean sure I can get mits to max but I dont block and my parry is meh and evade a laughing stock to all. I can get to 14kish morale but seeing guards take 5-10k hits and lol about it... makes me wanna MEEEEP! and crawl back to bed and hide under my blanky. God bless guardians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mains are tanks, first is dwarf guardian.

    Thank you, wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need for another post, hunters used to be tanks as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meh, my ideas of trying new things even in tanking often get turned down, because we appear to lack the time (forming 2 hours after the set time anyone >.> I know, I know we talked Form, hah)
    Also, I dislike you ignoring the tanking of our dear fire giant I did once for ~20 seconds with Kam on his guard , nothing spawned!!!!! Then someone other giant had to go boo-boom! SIGH

    ReplyDelete